Monday, December 10, 2007

Michael Vick Sentenced

In August, I felt like former NFL'er Michael Vick's sentencing day would never arrive. I don't feel the need to rehash the crimes, but you can certainly hit Google and find the gruesome details.


Today we found out Vick will serve 23 months in a federal prison. With good behavior, he'll be eligible for parole in 20 months. The sentence is delightfully longer than I expected, and preliminary reactions from animal rights groups indicate they approve as well.


The media has barely touched on what is to become of the dogs seized in the raid. I am pleased to say that 22 of the 48 dogs are on their way to the Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. Here, the dogs will receive the medical attention they need and be socialized until they are ready to be adopted through a rigorous screening process. Animals that may be too emotionally or psychologically damaged to ever go to a new family will have 'forever homes' at Best Friends.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I saw an excellent TV special on the day he was sentenced on the rehab of the dogs. I'm sorry I don't know which channel it was on. I live in Maryland and it has been in local news because of the proximity. Many of the dogs have already been placed with families. One is a rehab dog with challenged children. Only two I believe have been deemed unfit.

I wished you a Happy Birthday just now on Ravelry and checked out your blog.

Here's hoping he has a roommate named Bubba who misses his chihuahua.